Capote skillfully plays the reader and makes us see Perry humanely and not only as a hostile killer. However, in difference from the above post, not only are the readers of the book affected by feeling sympathy for Perry, but also the characters in the book express this. When Perry is first detained in the ladies cell, Josie Meier reveals this feeling for Perry. After promising to make him his favorite food, talking to him, and acting sympathetic for the relentless, following crowd, Josie explains, "he smiled kind of, and I decided - well, he wasn't the worst young man I ever saw. That night after I'd gone to bed, I said as much to my husband. But Wendle snorted. Wendle was one of the first on the scene after the crime was discovered. He said he wished I'd been out at the Clutter place when they found the bodies. Then I could've judged for myself just how gentle Mr. Smith was" (253). This represents her sympathy towards Smith and her thoughts on him as the passive human and not the intense murderer. In addition to Mrs. Meier, Don Cullivan reveals signs of heartfelt consideration. Perry tells him, “The truth is, you’ve done more for me than any what you call God ever has” (291). He goes on to say, “’Joe always liked me. Do you, Don?’ ‘Yes. I like you.’ Cullivan’s softly emphatic answer pleased and rather flustered Perry. He smiled…” (291). This shows he pities Perry, and the important part that Capote includes that captivates both the readers and the characters with sympathy, is when Perry says, “You’ve done more for me than any what you call God ever has. Or ever will. By writing to me, by signing yourself ‘friend.’ (291). This displays Perry as never being loved, cared for, and constantly neglected and the character (as well as readers) disregard the murder fact momentarily and sympathize with him as a human being. Mrs. Hickcock even goes as far as saying, "This boy Perry, it was wrong of me to hate him; I've got nothing but pity for him now. And you know - I believe Mrs. Clutter would feel pity, too. Being the kind of woman they say she was" (288). This excerpt perfectly exemplifies the concern and empathy given to Perry throughout the fourth and final section of In Cold Blood.
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Sympathy from Characters
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment