Monday, November 9, 2009
Repitition
Capote uses repition in the first part of the book to enhance the death of the Clutter family. Throughout the second part of the book Capote uses repition to enhance the reader's feelings to the killers, especially Dick. In the second half of the book Dick keeps on saying "I'm a normal". The first time dick ever said it, Perry just got done describing his dreams to him, "I'm a normal. I only dream about blond chicken" (93). This is Dick's kind of sarcasm towards Perry because he thinks that the drreams are meaningless and stupid. Perry seems to take it as a joke,, but in the reader's eyes it appears as if Dick is calling him anything but normal. Dick in his opinion, feels something is wrong with Perry and he is a little bit smarter the "the average fellow". When Perry is reflecting back on what they did to the Clutters, Dick says, "Deal me out baby...I'm a normal" (108). Dick thinks he is the perfect balance between right and wrong, good and bad. He feels that Perry is messed up, since he used to pee in the bed and had a really bad temper. Capote later on repeats the same conversation Dick and Perry have on page 108 on page 110 through 111, but this time it's how Perry heard it. Capote keeps repeating "I'm a normal" because in many ways Dick is not very normal at all. Capote is emphasising that Dick's veiw of being normal is very twisted to what the reader knows as being a normal. A normal person would never plot a murder and going through with it. I think Capote is trying to show or tell us that something might of been wrong with Dick.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment