Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sympathizing with Perry

Interestingly, as Capote shows the reader Perry as crazy, he also exhibits many circumstances of Perry displaying great emotion. The readers see Perry being kind to strangers, where Dick is indifferent. For instance, “Perry was always pestering Dick to pick up the damnedest, sorriest-looking people” (207). This gives the reader the impression that Perry feels bad for passing hitchhikers who appear to be struggling, and tries to assist them. Even on a deeper moral level, Perry displays affection. When Dick attempts to seduce a pubescent girl, “Perry, still reclining under the blue umbrella, had observed the scene and realized Dick’s purpose at once, and despised him for it; he had “no respect for people who can’t control themselves sexually”, especially when the lack of control involved what he called “pervertiness” –“bothering kids,” “queer stuff,” rape” (202). In this way Perry agrees with the feelings of the reader, creating sympathy, and mutual understanding. In another circumstance, Perry displays emotion and sympathy in a twisted and ironic manner that helps bring the reader back to their feeling of mistrust. In speaking of his time in the Clutter home he says, “I didn’t want to harm the man. I thought he was a very nice gentleman. Soft-spoken. I thought so right up to the moment I cut his throat” (244). A rather haunting sentiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment